Ads

Saturday, September 25, 2021

What Is a Relative Pronoun? | How to Use Them? | With Exercise

What Is a Relative Pronoun? How to Use Them?

A relative pronoun is a word that introduces a dependent (or relative) clause and connects it to an independent clause. Which section, starting with a relative pronoun, is ready to answer such a question? How many? Or what kind? Most common of relative pronouns are who, whom, whose, which, and that. Sometimes, when and where can be used as a relative pronoun.

What Is a Relative Pronoun

The relative pronouns are sometimes also referred to as adjective clauses, because they identify or give us additional information about the independent clause to which we belong. Like adjectives, these clauses somehow describe the subject. Relative pronouns, such as additions, are words that are added to clauses- in this case, a relative clause of the original clause. The type of relative pronoun used depends on the type of noun being described.

How to Use of Relative Pronouns

Relative pronouns are placed directly after nouns or pronouns that they modify (Who, whom, whose, and which are bold in the examples below). The content of the sentence is described by a relative clause (italized). Since these clauses describe a noun or pronoun, they are also known as adjective clauses because they act like adjectives in sentences.

Each clause, is introduced by a relative pronoun. The relative pronoun attaches an orderly description to the sentence of the sentence. See examples of a few different sentences.
  • The driver who drove the stop sign was careless.
  • Children, whom we love very much, need better education.
  • We will never go to a professor whose office plants have died.
  • I have a friend whose horse is annoying.
  • Books, which are now out of print.
  • This is a pen that everyone is talking about.

When and Where as Relative Pronouns

Occasionally, relative verbs are used as relative pronouns when and where. As relative pronoun, when introducing clauses that describe a noun that indicates a time and where it indicates a place. See examples of a few different sentences.
  • Grandfather remembers a time when radio shows were popular.
  • Mick remembered the day when they met.
  • This is the building where I work.
  • I want to go to the place where my grandmother was born.
  • The woman who interviewed me is waiting inside.

Relative Pronouns Examples

There are examples of relative pronouns following sentences. The relative pronouns in each instance are Italianized.

"Who"
  • The cyclist who won the race took rigorous training.
  • Michael  is a king who rules the 7 kingdoms.
  • Michael only trusts Alex who is a friend of him.
  • I’m sure the person who ate the cake.
  • Inspector Smith, who won the lottery.
  • The person who won the lottery is out.
  • I like the boy who runs fast (1st).
  • Jack, with who I work, has just moved.
  • I like the boy who is in my classroom.
  • The man, who is very old.
  • Mrs Jhone, who I love very much, is my master.
  • The man who phoned me last day is my teacher.
  • These are the person who want to buy my bike.
  • I don't love people who interrupt me.
  • Pay for those who need cancer treatment.
  • Neighbor, who lives on the street.
  • Mrs. Mary, who spoke on stage, was very nice.
  • The people who wins the game will be rewarded.
  • The ones who taught me last night were my class teachers.

"Whom"
  • I know whom you're dating.
  • The girl whom you love so much.
  • Whom is it attack?
  • Whom are you English speaking to?
  • Whom do you want now?
  • Whom relates to my aunt.
  • Whom does Fiona praise in the upcoming match?
  • I am not sure whom this pen belongs to.
  • She/ he is a rogue whom no one trusts.
  • The teacher selects only those students whom he believes are the most talented for the role.
  • The factory for whom I work has a good training program.
  • The cricketers whom Fiona admires avoid childish tantrums on the court.
  • The Summer whom you criticized in your review wrote a letter in reply.
  • Alex wants to be a teacher whom many people admire.
  • My brother, from whom I received a bus as a present, is a doctor. 
  • The new employee whom I hired is a dedicated employee.
  • The boy whom I gave my chocolate to looked up and smiled at me.
  • The person whom you met yesterday is a teacher.

"When"
  • That’s the day when we met him.
  • When do you go to school?
  • When do you breakfast.
  • When do the buses come and go?
  • When does Nakshi Kantha become famous?
  • When have you come here?
  • When do you go to bed?
  • When does she/ he get up from bed?
  • When does the fire become crowded?
  • When does a pupil can see everything easily?
  • Go to bed when you have done your home work.
  • Winter is when we have the most fun as a family.
  • Jhone remembered the night when they met.
  • I look forward to a time when the world will be at peace.
  • Grandfather remembers a time when F.M. Radio shows were popular.
  • The winners, when known, will receive their money.

"Where"
  • Where is it founded?
  • Where is its headquarters?
  • Where is your school located?
  • Where was it first discovered?
  • Where was your reading room?
  • Where are you going now?
  • Where did I put the parcel yesterday?
  • Where does he/ she live?
  • Where can we get it now?
  • Where did you buy the cloths you wore last week?
  • The cafe where we ​​went to was very nice.
  • The city town where he lives is only an hour away.
  • The office where we work is not in this building.
  • The library where we work is not in this building.
  • This is the old place where we met.
  • Shop in the corner, where we usually buy all the things in our industry.
  • I want go to the London where my grandfather was born.
  • I want to go to the place where my grandmother was born.

"Which"
  • Give me the pen which is on the table.
  • We have made a deal which is satisfactory.
  • Ned is the governor of the state which is huge.
  • The horse, which is very old, took a nap.
  • The mobile, which was ringing, was in my room.
  • Here is the website which my brother created.
  • The rope, which was old, was torn.
  • I bought a cricket bat which Bradman had.
  • The bird, which was in the cage, was moving on wheels.
  • Spaghetti, which we eat at least twice a month.
  • The 7 kingdoms which are ruled by different houses answer him.
  • I rode my bike very badly, which has now punctured the tyre.
  • My new horse, which I bought last month, loves green beans.
  • All the mangos which were in the mango bowl needs to be kept in the fridge.
  • This painting, which I like, is worth more than a million dollars.
  • The plant, which sits in the roof, is getting new leaves.
  • The doctor is trying a new test method, which had a 80% success rate.

"That"
  • The dog that stole the pie is back.
  • These are the cookies that Mary made.
  • I like the clock that rings the bell.
  • Shows that relate to people.
  • The book that I bought was recently published.
  • Here are some fruits that everyone can eat.
  • The cells that we tested came back as benign.
  • This is the dog that was hit by a bus.
  • These are the houses that have been damaged.
  • They have a song that is “winter is coming”.
  • I’ve heard stories that weren’t good at all.
  • I am very sure about the melody that is playing.
  • Answer the questions that have been asked.
  • The dress that I bought yesterday are already stained.
  • Don’t comment that isn't appropriate in this situation.
  • The questions that have been asked can be answered.

"Whose"
  • I don’t know whose bike is this.
  • I don’t know whose ball it was.
  • The shows which relate to people.
  • Shows whose relationship with people.
  • Whose scratched scarf is this?
  • I know whose pen or book it was.
  • Relative pronouns whose possession shows.
  • She’s a woman whose opinion I respect.
  • She is a woman whose views I respect.
  • The boy whose heart was broken.
  • Alex is a poet whose works are widely known.
  • Whose scratchy scarf is it?
  • My bike, whose brakes failed, is in the store.
  • Katrina, whose ruffled scarf scratches her cheek.
  • The woman whose bike I hit was very nice about it.
  • My sister, whose mobile you just heard, is a teacher.
  • He’s the student whose handwriting is the best in the class.
  • My uncle, whose child was brought to first grade, is a police.
  • Jerry, whose sitcom is widely syndicated, is my favorite actor.
  • My uncle, whose house burned down last month, is staying in a hotel.
  • Alex was helping a student whose lunch money had been stolen.

Relative Pronouns Exercises

Following the exercises will help you to understand more about how relative pronouns work. Choose the correct/ wright relative pronoun from the sentence below and match the given answer:

1. A festival, ­­­­­­­­­­­___________ lasted all day, ended with a banquet.

a. That
b. Who
c. Which
d. What

2. I'm looking for someone __________ can watch my dog while I go on vacation.

a. Which
b. Who
c. Whom
d. Whoever

3. The officer needed details _________ could help identify the robber.

a. Who
b. Whatever
c. That
d. What

4. I’d like to take you to a market __________ serves excellent coffee.

a. What
b. Whatever
c. Which
d. Whichever

5. Club House, in ______ the dance was held, housed about 200 people.

a. Which
b. Where
c. That
d. Whom

6. You can choose one, __________ you like, to share the cruise with you.

a. Whomever
b. That
c. Which
d. Whom

7. I saw the shirt __________ you bought last week on sale for less this week.

a. When
b. That
c. Who
d. Whom

8. A winner, __________ known, will receive money and other prizes.

a. Whoever
b. Who
c. When
d. That

9. This is the new place __________ we met.

a. When
b. Where
c. Who
d. That

10. The child, ________ nap had been interrupted, wailed loudly.

a. Whose
b. Whomever
c. Whom
d. Who

11. The person _______ told me about exams is my teacher.

a. Who
b. Whatever
c. That
d. What

12. The person ________ called me last night was my mom.

a. That
b. Whatever
c. Who
d. What

13. The car ______ I bought has yellow color.

a. Who
b. which
c. That
d. What

14. The car ________ I sold was my favorite.

a. Who
b. Whatever
c. That
d. What

15. The person _______ I gift a precious thing is my best friend.

a. Who
b. Whatever
c. That
d. Whom

16. The people ______ I left last night was my cousin.

a. Who
b. Whatever
c. That
d. What

17. The person ______ I called yesterday was my father.

a. Who
b. Whatever
c. That
d. What

18. The car ________ I sold was very old.

a. Who
b. Which
c. That
d. What

19. The car ____ I purchased is second hand.

a. Who
b. Whatever
c. That
d. What

20. The student ________ pen is lost should hands up.

a. Who 
b. whose
c. That  
d. What

Answers
  1. c – A festival, which lasted all day, ended with a banquet.
  2. b – I'm looking for someone who can watch my dog while I go on vacation.
  3. c – The officer needed details that could help identify the robber.
  4. c – I’d like to take you to a market which serves excellent coffee.
  5. a – Club House, in which the dance was held, housed about 200 people.
  6. a – You can choose one, whomever you like, to share the cruise with you.
  7. b – I saw the shirt that you bought last week on sale for less this week.
  8. c – A winner, when known, will receive money and other prizes.
  9. b – This is the new place where we met.
  10. a – The child, whose nap had been interrupted, wailed loudly.
  11. a –The person who told me about exams is my teacher.
  12. c – The person who called me last night was my mom.
  13. b – The car which I bought has yellow color.
  14. c – The car that I sold was my favorite.
  15. d – The person whom I gift a precious thing is my best friend.
  16. a – The people who I left last night was my cousin.
  17. c – The person that I called yesterday was my father.
  18. b – The car which I sold was very old.
  19. c – The car that I purchased is second hand.
  20. b – The student whose pen is lost should hands up.

Relative Pronouns: Got It?

Feeling good about relative pronoun examples now? Or are you still confused about what a relative pronoun is? If you still have questions about this (or others have your knowledge), please let us know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment