Ads

Sunday, September 20, 2020

What Are The Most Important Appropriate Preposition Rules

The Most Important Appropriate Preposition Rules

Definition :
Different prepositions are used with the same word in English and express different meanings. Again, in some cases many misconceptions arise to express the same meaning. That is why traditionally what preposition is used with a word is fixed in usage. We call this most important appropriate preposition.

What Are The Most Important Appropriate Preposition Rules

Prepositions of Place

1. in, at, and on are the most common prepositions of place. Words we use to say where something/ someone is or where an action takes place :
  • How to write Paragraphs in English?
  • I was in the kitchen when you phoned.
  • I'll be at home from seven this evening.
  • The keys are on the kitchen table.
  • She lives in Pakistan/in Iraq/in Singapore.
  • My dresses are in the cupboard.
  • There was dust on the floor.
  • I live at 21, New Delhi.
  • They lives in the South of Spain.
  • My flat is on the third floor.
  • My mom is in the kitchen now.
  • The books are on the table.
  • I was at work/at home yesterday.
  • Jemi is very ill and she is in hospital.
  • He goes to work on his bike.
  • Types of Tenses in Hindi.
  • Some friends met me at the Airport.
  • In England, it often snows in December.
  • Where will you be on New Year's Day?
  • Jane went home at lunchtime.

2. Here are some examples of prepositions of place.
  • I was outside the building.
  • I could see people inside it.
  • Your keys are under the table.
  • Jhon was in the kitchen when his phoned.
  • There were clouds above us.
  • He drove under a bridge.
  • It is very cold outside.
  • Bubbly was a Rabbit who lives in the forest.
  • She drove along the motorway.
  • Salmon was famous for his wisdom.
  • Smith drove up a hill.
  • Roy was playing inside the house.
  • There was dust on the way.
  • Besides vehicles on the road.
  • A committee of five (5) was appointed.
  • You can divide the above sentences in different parys.

3. A man in suit was sitting next to/beside me and a girl was sitting opposite me.

Definition of sentence into example:
  • There are trees in front of the house.
  • Write whatever comes into your head.
  • The drummer was behind other musicians.
  • A boy with a beard came into the room.
  • She left the house without closing the door.
  • He drove onto a ferry.
  • Jerry drove towards the city.
  • I am divinely guided and protected at all times.

4. We use with to talk about part of an object or one thing that is included in something :

We Use:
  • My father has got a suitcase with wheels.
  • The house has a whole shelf with books.
  • I cleaned my teeth with my new toothbrush.
  • She cleaned the floor with a piece of cloth.
  • The donkey is not an animal with a very long neck.
  • A man with a beard came into the home.
  • Examples of narrations with answers.
  • I stay with my family at Christmas.
  • I was completely happy with arrangements. 
  • We only interact with the environment.
  • We should be friendly with our environment.
  • Herry is a little girl with long hair and black eyes.
  • I need some help with my typing.
  • Share your ideas with a partner.
  • How many sentences starts with there.
  • What is wrong with your hand?
  • What thing is Mr Smith talking with him?
  • 12 Tenses Formula With Example.

Preposition of Time : at, in, and on

i. at for a precise time
ii. on for days and dates
iii. in for months, years, centuries, and long period

Example:
  • I have a meeting at 9 am.
  • Her birthday is on 22 November.
  • We went to the station in the afternoon.
  • Top 10 Brightest Stars at Night.
  • Mack goes to work on Mondays.
  • I don't usually work at the weekend.
  • In Japan, it often snows in January.
  • The shop closes at midnight.
  • Where will you be on New Year's Eve.
  • David usually goes at 11 o'clock at night.
  • Dev went to home in the evening.
  • She went home at lunchtime.
  • My father went to London on August.
  • I have been sitting here at 7 o'clock
  • Ravi get up early in the morning.
  • I finally reached the airport at 8.20 am.
  • There was dust on the house road.
  • The stars shine at midnight.
  • I saw the sun rising in the morning.
  • Best tips for punctuation in the new year.
  • Jafrin read Gulliver's Travels at New Year's Day.
  • There could be a lot of progress in the next century.

Here are Some Examples of Appropriate Preposition

A
Abide by - Student should abid by their teacher's advice.
Abide with - He abides with me.
Abide in - I abide in Dhaka.
Accuse of - He was accused of theft.
Abound in - Fish abounds in the Padma.
Accede to - I acceded to his request. 
Agree to - I can't agree to your proposal.
Agree on - I can agree with you on this point.

Annoyed with - The father is annoyed with his son for going to cinema.
Answer for - We're to answer to God for our actions.

Aim at - The police aimed at the robber.
Appeal to - I appealed to him for help.
Attend on - A nurse attends on patients.
Aspire after - Man aspires after riches.
Ask for - I asked for a boy to chop wood.
Atone for - A sinner has to atone for his sins.

Absent from - He'as absent from the meeting.
Absence from - His absence from the function shocked me much
Afraid of - He's not afraid of anybody.
Alive to - A politician is always alive to his flatters.

Angry with - He's angry with his younger brother.
Aware of - Students should be aware of their duties.
Attach to - I attached the documents to the application.
Aversion to - I've a serious aversion to smoking.

Aptitude for - The girl has a great aptitude for music.
Apprise of - I would like to apprise you of the fact.
Argue with - Learners should not argue with their teachers.

B
Bark at - The dog always barks at a stranger.
Bask in - In winter people bask in the sun.
Based on - His allegation was based on facts.
Beg for - The poor beg for alms of the rich.
Believe in - I don't believe in overloading my stomach. 
Beneficial to - Morning walk is beneficial for health.

Bereft of - Jerry was bereft of motherly affection.
Bent upon - He's bent upon going to the meeting.
Bequeath to - My father bequeathed a portion of his land to my mother.
Beset with - The Principal is beset with flatterers.

Bestow on - Allah bestows his mercy on us.
Blind of - He's blind to his son's fault.
Born of - I was born of middle class family.
Born to - A female child was born to her.
Borrow from - He borrowed a book from his found.
Burdened with - Jim was burdened with a family.

Busy at - The student is busy at his desk.
Burst into - Suddenly he burst into tears.
Burst out -They burst out into a laughter hearing my jokes.
Brood on or over - One should nod brood on or over one's failure.  

C
Capable of - He's capable of solving the problem. 
Care for - He doesn't care for any body.
Care of - We should take care of our health.
Cause of - What was the cause of this accident.

Cautious of - He's not cautious of his future.
Close to - My house is close to my college.
Clear to - One should cling to one's plan.
Callous to - We should not be callous to the suffering of the poor.

Certain of - He's certain of passing the examination.
Charge against - He brought a charge against me.
Charge on - The murder was charged on the innocent man.
Clothed in - The lady was clothed in white.
Coincide with - His opinion coincided with me.

Compare with - Nazrul can be compared with Shelley.
Commit to - I committed the poem to memory.
Communicate to - Please communicate the news to. my mother.
Comment in - He commented on the lecture.
Compensate for - He'll compensate for my loss.

Conceive of - I couldn't conceive of dishonesty in him.
Concerned for - Students are concerned for their result.
Condemn to - The criminal was condemned to death.
Conducive to - Early in life is conducive to health.

Confined in - He was confined in prison for a murder case.
Composed of -Water's composed of oxygen and hydrogen.
Conform with - His word conform with his work.
Conform to - We're to conform to social norms.

Consist of - The committee is consisted of ten members.
Consist in - True happiness consisted in contentment. 
Contend with - He contended with a strong rival.

Contrast to - His action is contrast Nazrul with Tagore.
Congenial to - The climate of new place is congenial to my health.
Control of, over - The man has no control over his son. 

Convict of - The criminal was convicted of murder.
Cope with - I failed to cop with the new environment.
Count for favor
Credit to -The manager credited the amount to my account.

D
Dawn on - At last the truth dawned on him.
Delete from - The book was deleted from the last.
Delight in - I delight in sports and games.
Deficient in - The boy is deficient in English.
Demand for - Jerry had no demand for high amounts.
Depend upon - I depended upon his word.
Dependent on - Our family is depended on me.

Deprive of - He was deprived of the property.
Deserving of - His honesty is deserving of praise.
Desirous of - My father is not desirous of wealth.
Destitute of - A street urchin is destitute of wealth.
Dispense with - The headmaster dispensed the clerk with his services.
Detach from - He's detached from his family.

Detrimental to - Smoking is detrimental to health.
Devoid of - Jerry is devoid of common sense.
Die from - He died from over eating.
Die for - We're ready to die for our country.
Differ from - The rose differs from marigold.
Differ with - I'm different with you in this matter.
Different from - This pen is different from that.
Different of - A lazy boy always different of success.

Displeased with - The teacher is displeased with the student.
Dissimilar to - This pen dissimilar to that.
Distinguish from - He tried to distinguish right from wrong.
Distrust of - An honest man has no distrust of anyone.
Divided into - He divide the money equally.
Dull of - The boy is dull of hearing.
Divert from - He diverted me from my purpose.

Duty to - We must do our duty to our parents.
Dwell in - The manager dwells in a fine house.
Dwell upon - The manager dwelled upon the subject.
Due to - I couldn't go to college due to my illness.The prize was due to me.
Expose to - Don't expose the syrup to babies.

E
Expert at - The girl is expert at drawing.
Excuse from - The headmaster excused him from fine.
Exult over - Don't exult over a defeated foe.
Exclude from - He was exclude from the list.
Exhausted with - I'm exhausted with hard work.

Eager for - A greedy man is eager for riches.
Earnest in - Students should be earnest in their student.
Easy of - The problem is easy of solution.
Emerge from - Suddenly a tiger emerged from the bush.
Endowed with - Sher-E-Bangla was endowed with many qualities.
End in - All this attempts ended in smoke.
Engaged in - He's engaged in writing a book.
Enveloped in - The sky is enveloped in black clouds.

Envious of - He's envious of my success.
Enquire of, about - He enquired of my whereabout.
Enlist in - He's enlisted in the party.
Equal in, with - I'm equal in rank with you.
Escape from - Man has no escape from death.

Excel in The boy excels in painting.
Essential to - Sound health is essential to success in life.
Exception to - There is an exception to every rule.
Exempt from - The poor student was exempted from tuition fees.

F
Faith in - I've faith in his honesty.
Faithful to - The dog is a faithful animal to its master.
False to - The boy is false to his teacher.
Favour of - His report was in favour of me.
Fear of - The rich are in fear of their lives.
Fear for - The rich fear for their lives.
Fearful of - I'm fearful of enemies.
Fire at - The police fired at the criminal.
Fire upon - The police fired upon the mob.
Filled with - The sailors were filled with fear.

Fine for - He had to pay heavy fine for his misbehaviour.
Favourable for - The soil of Sylhet is Favourable for growing oranges.
Fit for - He's fit for the post.
Fix to - Fix the stamp to the envelope.
Foreign in - Telling lies is foreign to an honest man.
Forgetful of - Man is forgetful of the past.
Free from - Man's not free from cares and anxieties.

Free of - The goods reached free of cost.
Fruitful in - Canada is fruitful in gas resources.
Full of - The glass is full of dirty water.
Faith with - He has broken faith with me.
Famous for - I am familiar with me.
Furnish with - The college was furnished with fine furniture.

G
Glad of - I'm glad of your help.
Glad at - My parents are glad at my success.
Glance at - I glanced at the building.
Glance over - I glance over the paper.
Glory in - My parents are glory in my success.

Good at - Smith is good at cricket.
Guess at - Wordsworth failed to guess at the reaper's song.
Grateful to, for - I'm grateful to Smith for his kid help.
Grasp at - He grasped at the shadow and lost the thing.
Greedy of or after - A saint is not greedy of or after riches.

Glimpse of - The crowd were waiting to have a glimpse of the leader.
Grumbles at, about -A coward grumbles at or about his lot.
Guard from - The watch guards our house from thieves.
Guard against - We must guard against our mistakes.
Guilty of - The servant was guilty of theft.
Grieve at or for - My parents grieved at or for my unsuccess.

H
Hanker after - A saint does not hanker after riches.
Hatred of  - We should not have hatred of any body.
Heir of, to - Smith has no heir of or at his property.
Hindrance from - My father hindered me from going cinema.
Hindrance to - Poverty is hindrance to my success.

Hint at - I hinted him at the matter.
Hope of - A coward has no hope of success in life.
Hopeful of - Kanta is hopeful of her success.
Hit upon - We hit upon a plan.
Hunting for or after - Not after hunting for wealth.
Hostile of - The pak armies were hostile of the Freedom Fighter.

I
Ignorant of - He's ignorant of the murder.
Immersed in - One should not be immersed in debts.
Impatient of - The workers are impatient of delay
Impose upon - The duty was imposed upon me.
Incentive to - Bonus is incentive to workers.
Include in - My name was include in the list.
Inclination to, for - Tinni has a deep inclination to or for music.
Incumbent on - It's incumbent on us to help the poor.
Independent of - None is independent of society.

Influence over - The old man has no influence over his son.
Influenced by - I'm influenced by father's honesty.
Inform if - I informed him of his result.
Inherent in - Honesty is inherent in Jerry.
Innocent of - The officer is innocent of the charge.
Inquire of, about - The police inquired of him about the murder.
Insist on - He insisted on my going to cinema.

Instinct with - Jerry takes interest in music.
Intimate with - Jerry was intimate with pat.
Intimate to - Please intimate to him about the result.
Introduce to - I introduced my friend to my parents.
Invest with - The captain was invested with new power.
Involve in - The boy is involved in the affair.
Irrelevant to - His remark is irrelevant to the subject.
Irrespective of - All are equal irrespective of caste and creed.

J
Jealous of - He's jealous of my prosperity.
Jeer at - We should not jeer at the poor.
Jest at - One should not jest at the poor.
Judge by - No one should be judged by our presence
Justification for- There is no justification for his saying so.
Join to, with - The two families were joined with or to each other by marriage.

K

Key to - Industry is the key to success.
Kind to - The rich should be kind to the poor.

L
Lack of - He has lack of money.
Lack in -  He lacks in courtesy.
Lame of - The poor man is lame of one leg.
Lament for - One shouldn't lament for the past.

Laugh at - We shouldn't laugh at the poor.
Lavish of - He's lavish of money.
Liable for - Jerry was not liable for the breaking of the axe handle.
Liable to - Man is liable to error.
Liking for - I've no liking for him.
Live in - Man lives in society.
Live on - The cow lives on grass
Long for - Man long for peace and happiness.

Lost in - The building was lost in a storm.
Likeness to - He recognised the girl by her likeness to her mother.

M
Marry to - Jerry was married to Smith.
Match for - The girl is no match for the man.
Meet with - The boy met with an accident.
Mindful of - The student is mindful of his student.

Meditate on, upon - One should not meditate upon the past actions. 
Mix with - She doesn't mix with other girls.
Merge with - They merged with bad boys.
Mourn for - England mourns for the fatten.
Moved by - I was moved by his scene of courtesy.

Muse on - He mused on his lot.
Martyr to - The freedom fighter were martyr to the independence of Bangladesh. 

N
Natural to - Death is natural to all.
Necessity for - I've no necessity for the book.
Necessity to - Rest is necessity to me now.
Necessary for - Industry is necessary for success.

Need of - I'm badly in need of a seat in the hostel.
Noted for - Smith was noted for his kindness.
Neglectful of - Students should not be neglectful of their student.

O
Object to - I object to his proposal.
Objection to, against - I've not objection to his proposal.
Oblige to, for - I'm obliged to you for granting my parents.
Oblivious of - Man is oblivious of the past.
Obstacle to - Poverty was obstacle to his success in life.
Occupied with - Mr Khan is occupied with his books.

Occupied in - He's occupied in writing a grammar.
Obligatory on - It's obligatory on sons to look after their old parents.
Offensive to - The small to this scent is offensive to me.
Open to - The National Zoo is open to all.
Opportunity of - I've no opportunity for going abroad.
Originate in, from - The fire originated in his shop.

Oust from - He was ousted from the college.
Overwhelmed with-The widow was overwhelmed with grief.
Owe to - I owe to my teacher.
Offend against - You've offended against college discipline.

P
Parallel to - This line is parallel to that.
Part from - The writer parted from Jerry.
Part with - I can't part with this pen.
Partial to - We shouldn't be partial to our relatives.

Partiality to, for - I've no partiality for my relatives.
Passion for - Jerry has a deep passion for music.
Patient of - The sick man is patient of his sufferings.
Permit of - His conduct permits of on excuse.

Popular with, for - The principal is popular with the pupils for his politeness.
Play at - Students should not play at cards.
Play on - The third girl played on a tune.
Play with - Don't play with matches.
Plead for - The poor plead for justic but in vain.

Plead against - I pleaded against his conduct.
Plunged in - He's plunged in deep study.
Ponder over - The boy is pondering over the mistakes.
Possessed of - Smith was possessed of vast wealth.

Precaution against - We should take precaution against disease.
Prefer to - He prefers reading to writing.
Preferable to - Milk is preferable to tea.
Prejudice against- I've no prejudice against any religion.
Prejudicial to - Smoking is prejudicial to health.

Prepare for - Body is preparing for the examination. 
Preside over - The Principal presided over the meeting.
Pretend to - Hamlet pretended to madness.
Previous to - Previous to that he was a typist.

Prey to - One shouldn't be prey to greed.
Profitable to - The Co-operative shop was profitable to the students. 
Pride in - Rana takes pride in his wealth.
Proficient in - Our Principal is proficient in English.

Prohibit from - I prohibited him from going to cinema.
Prompt in - Jerry was prompt in doing his duties. 
Provide with - He provided me with a loading.
Proportionate to - Punishment should be proportionate to crime.

Q
Qualified for - He's qualified for the post.
Quarrel with - We shouldn't quarrel with one another.

Quick at - Jerry was quick at his work.
Quarrel about - The two brothers quarrelled with each other about a piece of land.

R
Relevant to - His remark has not relevant to the point.
Relieved to - The servant was relieved of his works.
Rely on - The authoress relied on Jerry.
Remedy for - There is no remedy for cancer.
Remind of - I reminded him of the accident.
Repent of - The old sailor repented of his sin.

Repentance for - The old man felt repentance for his sin.
Remarkable for - Mr. Smith is remarkable for his social works.
Replace by - The bench was replaced by new one.
Respond to - God can't but respond to the call of a man.
Responsible to - We're responsible to Allah.
Result of - The result of dishonesty is terrible.

Result from - Misery result from vice.
Result in - Vice results in misery.
Retired from - The Principal retired from the college. 
Requisite for - A Haji has to take many requisites for pilgrimage.
Retire to - He has retire to bad.
Revenge upon - Immortal gods revenged upon the lady.

Rich in - Canada is rich in natural gas.
Rob of - The servant robbed me to everything.
Ready at - He's ready at passing running community.
Ready for - They're ready to do anything for the country.
Reconciled with - Samson is reconciled with hi wife.

Reconciled to - Samson has become reconciled to his lot.
Reason with - Students shouldn't reason with the teacher.
Recover from - The patient has recovered from his illness.
Reduced to - The old man had been reduced to poverty.
Refer to - The case was referred to police for inquiry.
Reflect upon - He reflected upon his past life.

Refrain from - Father refrained me from going to cinema.
Respect for - Learners should have respect for their teachers.

S
Sanguine of - I'm sanguine of my success.
Satisfied with - Man should be satisfied with what he has.
Satisfaction in - The officer feels satisfaction in his act.
Search for - The police searched for the criminal.

Seek for - Man seeks for bread.
Sensible of -The politician is sensible of the danger ahead.
Short of - The college is short of funds.
Sick of - Unless was sick of idle life.
Sensitive to - Jerry was sensitive to motherly love and sympathy.
Side with - I sided with him.
Similar to - Ignorance is similar to darkness.
Sin against - The old sailor sinned against God.

Slave to - Man shouldn't be slave to his passion.
Smile upon - Fortune smile upon the brave.
Smile at - The rich shouldn't smile at the poor.
Sneer at - People shouldn't make fun of anyone.
Sorry for - I'm sorry for my rude behaviour.
Solicit for - The flood affected people solicited the govt. for help.
Stare at - Jim stared a Della.
Startle at - The writer was startled to see the bill of fare.

Stick to - I shall stick to my principles.
Subject to - The poor are subject to hardship.
Submit to - Man must submit to his fate.
Subscribe to - We must subscribe to the poor fund.
Suffer from - The poor suffer from many troubles.

Suitable for - He's suitable for the post.
Sufficient for - The saving of Della was not sufficient for her purpose. 
Suited to - His comment was suited to the occasion.
Supply with - The Lilliputians supplied Gulliver with meat.
Supply to - The Lilliputians supplied meat to Gulliver.
Sure of - I'm sure my success.
Susceptible to - The baby is susceptible to cold.

Suspicious of - The police is suspicious of his movement.
Sympathise with - The authoress sympathised with Jerry.
Synonym for - He gave a synonym for the had word.
Subversive of - He didn't take part in any activity subversive of the state.

T
Taste of - I've had taste of bitter experience of life.
Taste for - I've no taste for music.
Thankful for, to - We should be thankful to God.

Thirst for - Man has unquenchable thirst for knowledge.
Tired with - I'm tired with hard work.
Talk to, about - The authoress did not talk to Miss Clark about Jerry's mother.
Tired of - I'm tired of his flattery.
Tolerant of - Poets are tolerant of others criticism.
Triumph over - Truth triumphs over falsehood.

True to - I'm true to my word.
Trust to - Trusted the work to him.
Trust with - Trusted him with the money.
Trust in - We trust in Allah.
U
Unite with - Samson didn't until with his wife.
Use for - I've no use for the book.
Used to - Jerry was used to hard work.
Useful to - Trees're useful to us in many ways.
Urge upon - The people urged upon the politician for donation.

V
Vain of - The lady is vain of her dress.
Vary from - Opinion varies from man to man.

Versed in - Sher-E-Bangla was versed in politics.
Vest in - The power has been vested in the minister.
Vest with - The minister has been vested with power.
Victim of - The poor man was a victim of the circumstances.
Victim to - England falls a victim to flood every year.

Visit to - The Inspector went on a visit to the college.
Void of - His words are void of meaning.
Vote for - He voted for me.
Vie with The sycophants vied with one another to appease leader.

W
Wait for - They waited for us at the station.
Wait upon - A nurse waited upon the patients.
Want of - I've want of money.
Wink at - Parents should not wink at their son's fault.

Wish for - Man wishes for happiness.
Worthy of - Jerry was worthy of praise.
Wonder at - The porter wondered at the beauty of the three girls.

Y or Z
Yield to - Man must yield to fate.
Zealous for - A slave is always zealous for freedom.

Zest for - Nita has zest for music.
Zeal for - Begum Rokeya had a great zeal for education.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is a Preposition?

Answer: A preposition is a word that is used to link nouns, pronouns or phrases in a sentence to other words. They work to connect people, objects, times and locations in a sentence. Prepositions are usually short words, and they are usually placed directly in front of the noun. In some cases, you can find prepositions in front of gerund verbs.

Types of Prepositions

Answer: There are three types of prepositions including time preposition, space preposition and direction preposition.

How to Use a Preposition?

Answer: Let's take a look at some examples below and how they can be used!
  • “She put the tiles on the wrong wall.”
  • “He is going to college in November.”
  • “I’ll meet you at 8.30.”

Prepositions are always used to indicate the relation of a noun or phrase to something else. When using a preposition, you should always have the subject and the verb before it and follow it with a noun. You should not follow it with a verb!

What is A Free Preposition?

Answer: Prepositions that express their own meaning in a sentence structure, and which are not used based on any word in the sentence, are called free prepositions. This preposition is used based on what the speaker is trying to say. The speaker has to choose this preposition very carefully, because sometimes changing a preposition can completely change the meaning of the sentence.

Free preposition has two features, they are:
  1. This preposition will have its own exact word meaning
  2. This preposition is not used based on any word in the sentence, it is used based on what the speaker means.

How Many Prepositions can You Use in a Sentence?

Answer
: I don’t think there is a limit TO how many prepositions can be used IN a sentence because it depends ON the length OF the sentence and the style OF the person saying it.


No comments:

Post a Comment